I’m honoured to be nominated for a third Sunshine Blogger Award: this time by Sadje, creator of the fascinating blog Keep It Alive! I’m deeply grateful for this fantastic opportunity – thank you ever so much! Please visit her amazing website: she’s such an upbeat blogger with a deep passion for writing that really shines through her posts every day, from Word Prompts to short stories and inspirational life advice! ❤
The aim of the Sunshine Blogger Award is to help spread love and support for each other throughout the blogging community, so if you’re nominated, here are some general rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog so others can find them.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
- Notify the nominees about it on one of their own posts.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or your blog site.
1. If you had to choose to be on a reality show, which one would it be?
Probably The Great British Bake Off. I’m a pretty average cook so I’d probably lose in the first round, but I’d still enjoy it since it’s a really casual environment where everyone’s happy to learn from each other and help each other out when things get tough. Some great cooks have been Rahul, Selasi, Tamal, and of course…Nadiya! 🍰
2. If you could change your name, what would it be?
Hmmm…probably Jack, or maybe Luke Burton sounds quite cool. As my blog’s grown quite a lot since I first started it, a quirky new name for it might be ‘Nonsense from a Nineties Kid,’ or ‘Southwest Stories.’
3. How long have you been blogging?
About a year now. I started my blog back in December 2017, and I like to think I’ve (hopefully) gotten a bit better at blogging since then!
4. How frequently do you blog?
At first it was completely at random (because I was quite panicked at the start about the number of views and new readers) but as I grew in confidence about my personal niche, I’m currently blogging once a week, every Monday. It’s way more manageable than rushing to publish something new every day (which is certainly doable for many great bloggers, just not ideal for me), and blogging regularly lets readers know when to expect new content, so they’ll look forward to reading it.
5. Share the link to a favourite post of yours, why is this your favourite?
Probably one of my favourite ones has been Trust Fall. I was really surprised how much it resonated with readers from all over the world, even when it’s only 700 words long! I wanted to convey that foxhole brotherhood of fellow soldiers coping with shared battle trauma, especially since it’s so universal and still relevant in the present day. Plus there’s a therapy dog in it, and dogs are always great fun to write. Huge thank you to everyone who’s enjoyed it so far! ❤ 😀
6. Do you check your stats for the countries that have ‘visited’ your blog?
Not much. Occasionally it’s interesting to see new views from different countries, but mainly I’m just really grateful that people are continuing to read, like and comment on my blog from all around the world. Clearly, I’m doing something right (I hope!)
7. Which countries are you missing from your WordPress globe and would really like to see filled in on your map?**
About 95% of them. I mainly get visitors from the UK, USA, France, Germany, South Africa, India, Pakistan and Australia, but I’m not particularly bothered by missing countries (see previous answer).
8. Are you a ‘crafty’ person? (Knit, sew, paint, macrame … ?)
When I was younger I used to paint model figurines & Airfix plane models too. Now I’m more of a friendship bracelet person, but I’d really like to learn how to re-sew hems and buttons to mend favourite clothes!
9. Assuming that you celebrate, do you shop in advance for Christmas or do you leave everything to the last minute?
I am a big planner, so I like to do things way in advance. It stops any last-minute panic buying & means you can put more thought into what different family members would really like for Christmas. So that’s handy. 😄
10. Do you participate in sports?
Mostly cycling (to work) and bouldering (climbing without the ropes and safety harnesses.) It’s been great at building my general fitness and keeping flexible. (I’m only 25, but I’m not made of rubber and magic anymore!) We’re very lucky to live close to the seaside too, so it’s great to swim in the summer – when the sea isn’t freezing cold!
11. Are you a sweet or savoury person?
Sweet 100%! Dark chocolate is the absolute best (in moderation, obviously). Very lucky that I’ve been cycling to work for the past three years to make up for it.
Optional questions for my nominees:
- What is your favourite season of the year and why?
- Do you have a favourite quote that’s really inspired you?
- If you could choose any book character as a close friend, who would it be?
- What is one of your favourite comfort foods?
- What would your dream job be?
- Why did you start blogging?
- How long have you been blogging for?
- What kind of blogs do you enjoy reading?
- What would you like readers to get out of your blog?
- What have you enjoyed about blogging?
- Which of your own blog posts would you recommend to new readers first?
My Excellent Eleven Choices:
I’ve chosen these bloggers because I’m deeply impressed by their enthusiasm for blogging such varied and interesting posts. They consistently produce top-quality content and are exceptional writers too. 😀 There’s no obligation to take part in the quiz if you’d prefer not to, but if you’d like to answer these questions and share a little more about yourself, that’s fantastic! It’s lovely to learn more about such different bloggers and come together as a wider community to support each other!
If you would like to participate, thank you ever so much for your time! Happy blogging, everyone!